I finished a new painting this week!
I was stuck with it for a while because couldn’t get the shade of red to pop out the way I wanted so I was just redoing it over and over again. Eventually it came to me that maybe I should work on making the background darker instead and leave the rose alone for a while. Here are some shots of the work in progress:
And the finished painting:
For the red color I ended up using a pretty primary mix of cadium red with a bit of cadium scarlet, both very warm and intense colors. I really like the way it turned out (eventually) – getting that just red right had me cursing more that once.
I didn’t get to enjoy the finished painting for too long because I gave it away to a friend of mine as a surprise a few days ago. I once showed him some photos on my phone with the painting in progress and he mentioned that it reminded him of his little granddaughter who’s currently fighting cancer. That encouraged me to finish it faster (I’ve been working on it on and off for over a year) and give it to him.